18 September 2023

Talking Tree (ThursdayTreeLove)

Today's post is about a tree that's really telling a story..

I met this tree in Waterford, Wales located right in the middle of a bylane. It is a 23 metre long masterpiece carving by John Hayes and his team on an entire Douglas Fir that was uprooted in a storm. The uprooted tree was used to carve the story of the Vikings and their history in Wales

Sounds amazing isn't it? And it is... 

The 'sculpture' if I can use that word, is too long to capture in a single frame..so here are part wise images. 


From a distance, I thought the building was the focus here.. but it was the installation that caught my attention.








The root structure is intact and adds to the story. You can read this interesting information about it here.  

TV serials and the comic strip Hagar The Horrible has made me a Vikings fan! Waterford was an important base for Vikings. Hence I really enjoyed this display and walking around the city. 

Have you seen this Talking Tree? Do you know the story of the Vikings journey? Have you seen a Douglas Fir? All I know is that it is a Conifer. 

:-)

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove bloghop. Do head over to see fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in. 

10 comments:

joannaoftheforest said...

The artist certainly made good use of the uprooted tree, transforming it into a storyteller! This looks like an interesting place.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It does look amazing.

Archana said...

@JoAnna Yes it is indeed very interesting. Do visit if you are in that part of the world! :-) Thanks for stopping by!

Archana said...

@Linn I thought so too!! Thank you so much!

Parul said...

Wow! Love this and so unique. I haven't seen this Fir or travelled to that part of the world but one day for sure :) Thanks Archana for bringing this unique piece to us. See you tomorrow.

Chandra Lynn said...

Wow. This is amazing. I have heard of such trees (and even teach about some), but have never seen one in person. What an awesome experience that must have been!

Archana said...

@Parul Happy to share this unique tree! And to be part of TTL!! :-)

Archana said...

@Chandra Yes indeed. It was awesome! And it would be great to attend one of your classes on this topic! :-) Thanks for stopping by!!

Divya said...

Cool installation art. I love that it tells a story and love that they decided to keep the roots on.
What a great find, Archana. :)

Archana said...

@Divya Yesss! It was a total surprise find!! I am so glad you found it interesting! Thanks!