25 April 2018

V for Vegetarian



Welcome! 
We are with the 2018 April AtoZ Blogging challenge and its my fifth attempt. For those who missed it, here is the link to my Theme Reveal post. Do the alphabets still stand for the same things we learnt about in Nursery school? 

Its day twenty two and the alphabet is V. 


One advantage of travelling full fare airlines is that they offer inflight meals. Their quantity and taste factor are open to debate but yes, they do offer food. One of the biggest difficulties is choosing the correct meal option when booking tickets. 

I prefer to be vegetarian. To me, it simply means a meal that does not have meat. That's it. The websites ask me to choose between Asian Veg, Vegetarian Vegan, Vegetarian Meal, Vegetarian Oriental Meal, Fruit Platter, Vegetarian Jain Meal, Vegetarian Lacto - Ovo Meal.

Phew! That's just the veg options.. (The non-vegetarian options are equally varied.) 

Choose the wrong one and you are stuck with something that is vegetarian all right but its  something you dont like. I once chose Asian Veg and found myself facing a bowl full of noodles. Try eating those with flimsy plastic folks ... Plus, I hate noodles unless its Maggi! I know that Jain Meals do not contain onion/garlic/root veggies so that should be a safe option. Fruit Platter is self explanatory I suppose but will it satisfy the hunger pangs at lunch time??  I am not averse to eggs so the Veg Lacto-Ovo meal may be interesting! 

In India, we have to buy food on the low cost carriers - the menu usually lists many options but all may not be available. Besides the sandwich varieties, the other items are usually made by adding hot water to the dehydrated food. I have seen folks carrying their own tiffins which says more about the food than anything anyone says or writes! 

I can go on with this theme but I know you have many more blogs to visit... 

While it was V for violin in school, I will go with V for vegetarian and take my chances with whatever food is served ;-)

What is your experience with inflight vegetarian meals? Do share!
:-)

5 comments:

Shesha Chaturvedi said...

In our last fight from Amaterdam to India, accidentally our food preference was set to vegan meal. I thought its for a decent cause and so I didn’t change it. I couldnt swallow anything they served except the fruits.

Archana said...

@Shesha - That's tough... Its really difficult to choose from the drop down options. Thanks for stopping by Shesha!

Shesha Chaturvedi said...

I agree!

Mrs Fever said...

U.S. flights do not offer meals as part of their fare any more. No matter what you pay for your ticket, if you want food while in the air, you pay extra - onboard - for it.

Archana said...

I guess its better that way, at least you can choose what you want to eat. The paid meals are often quite horribe. THanks for stopping by Mrs Fever :-)