22 August 2019

Green (ThursdayTreeLove)


The beautiful green trunk of this tree just stopped me in my tracks.. This was a few years ago in Phoenix, Arizona. Help was at hand in the form of a small board with the tree id.

This is the Palo Verde - a tree belonging to the Fabaceae family and belongs to the Cercidium genus. Chorophyll present in the bark gives it the green colour (as does it in leaves). And yes, you are right, for this reason, the bark of the Palo Verde also produces food by photosynthesis as do its leaves. I guess, this is a plant adaptation for growing in region with high temperatures. 

I remember we had learnt in school that, in desert plants like Cacti, leaves turn into spines to limit water loss and the green fleshy stem takes over the job of photosynthesis (food production). 



As I have said time and again, travelling is a great way to see history and culture of a new place, monuments and importantly, to see and enjoy its Flora as well!

Do you notice trees and plants during your travels? 

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove Blog hop. Do head over to see some wonderful trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

5 comments:

Dr Genevive Angela said...

Never seen a tree like this ...like the colour..of this stem.

Archana said...

Yes Angela! It was a first for me as well! So happy that you could stop by! :-)

Parul said...

On my travels, I am always on a look out for flora and fauna. It's a great way to learn. Thank you for joining with this tree, Archana and love the little information you shared. It surely helps us know more about the tree. Thank you!
And yes, see you tomorrow:)

Penelope Potty Snooper said...

I always look around while travelling and marvel at the different flora and fauna everywhere. It's far more interesting than just reading a book ( which I also enjoy while travelling).... A green trunk! That's something I've ever seen.... Thanks for sharing this

JoAnna said...

Beautiful photos and fascinating information. Trees, sky, and rock formations are the main things I look at when traveling. I hope to visit the western US some day. I bet I'll enjoy the views there.