23 January 2020

Towering (ThursdayTreeLove)


What is it that strikes you first in the above image from Leh?
The snow clad peaks in the background, or the cloudy sky and or is it the trees? 

Leh has a rugged terrain surrounded by the mighty Himalayas and the ground is covered with flora that can survive in the bitter cold. Apple, Apricot, Seabuckthorn are a common wondrous sight but these towering lean Poplars are equally eye catching. 

These are most likely the Populus nigra trees belonging to the Salicaceae family. (The same family as Willows). Male and female flowers are borne on different trees but the flowering season was some time away when I visited. 

Here are a couple more images of this wonderful tree. 

Straight trunk bole

Leaves
Have you visited Leh? Did you notice these towering Poplars? Here is a list of some landmark trees of Leh. 

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Bette still, join in!

12 comments:

My Era said...

Loved the towering Tree!
I've never been to Leh, so it was fascinating for me to be introduced to this tall beauty.
Thank you for sharing the details & beautiful pictures :)

Alana said...

The trees certainly caught my eye first. So thin. I was expecting evergreens with needles. The leaves were a surprise.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I noticed the trees first and I thought of France. You see a lot of poplars in France.

Parul said...

Beautiful! I have been to Leh and seen the trees there. It's beautiful how living being adapt to the climate. The trees were the first thing I noticed. See this picture - though the mountains are big, the green patch stand out. https://www.happinessandfood.com/serene-leh/ Don't you think?

Thanks for joining, Archana. I hope to see you on the 13th.

Vinitha said...

The trees definitely grab attention in the picture above. Lovely capture.

Archana said...

Thank You Era! I have been busy hence delays in acknowledging your comments! Thanks for stopping by :-)

Archana said...

Thanks Alana!

Archana said...

@linsartyblobs Poplars are uncommon in my city. I guess they need colder climes or higher elevation ... Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Archana said...

@Parul.. Yes the trees do stand out from a distance. Thanks for hosting this wonderful bloghop!!

Archana said...

Thank you so much Vinitha!

Priya said...

Beautiful picture!
I've not seen the poplar but from a distance it appears like the Polyalthia longifolia tree but from what you describe the poplar tree must be much more taller..

Archana said...

@Priya indeed.. BUt I did not see any P longifolia there.. These seemed to be the only tall trees at that time in Leh. Thanks for stopping by :-)