24 December 2022

Grand (ThursdayTreeLove)

At the outset, here's Wishing All of You a Very Happy Healthy and Tree-mendous 2023. 

Today I have a (new to me) tree that I (feel proud to have identified) spotted in our recent cycling expedition in Assam. 

As we walked towards this beautiful waterfall (Yes, some walking was also a part of the cycling tour :-) ) the drooping branches and what seemed like dry fruit immediately caught my eye. 




The tree was very tall and its fairly thick trunk grew absolutely straight for quite some distance. The branches were too high to touch any leaf or branch. I could barely see opposite fairly large leaves and new ones looked red. 
Drooping branches
None of the locals seemed to know its name. 


Very tall straight trunk
Feeling dwarfed under the tall tree and its thick trunk

As is my habit, I had put together a list of trees of the region we were visiting and I tentatively identified the tree as Duabanga grandiflora of the Lythraceae family. Luckily we were in cell phone range so I could refer to the Flowers of India website (my favourite go-to site for plant information) and my ID seemed to be correct but unverified. 

A couple of days later, I saw more of the same trees which also grew near streams. This time, we had a Forest Department guide with us who told me the botanical name. Yesss....I was on the right track! 

This species is indigenous to India's north eastern states and grows on banks of streams.. just where I had seen it. It is said to be deciduous but luckily for me, it was not yet the season for leaves to fall off. What seemed like dry fruit must have been the persistent sepal. Its white flowers are said to have an unpleasant smell. 

What I had not noticed in our earlier (in the 1990s) stay in Assam was the tree height. This year, I found all trees to be really really tall. Even the Gulmohor and Neem seemed much taller than in Pune. Wonder why... 

Besides cycling through forests and tea estates and golden rice fields, the tour was a tree treat for me!! I recognised many trees but many whose names I dont yet know. But it doesn't matter.  (You can read about the cycle tour here.) 


Do you also enjoy learning about trees and plants of places you visit? Seeing familiar species is like meeting friends from home, isn't? :-)

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

4 comments:

joannaoftheforest said...

I admire your perseverance in identifying this interesting tree. Being able to identify more trees has been a goal of mine. Thank you for inspiring my curiosity.

Parul said...

I am in awe of a cycling tour that you did. I would to someday hike, trek and go on a cycling tour. And add to it a marathon. There you go! I wish list is ready. Love that you IDed the tree and also that you were right. Archana, thank you for thinking of clicking these pictures from your tour and sharing with us. See you around soon. I am almost ready with my post.

Archana said...

Thank you so much @JoAnna :-)

Archana said...

@Parul You will enjoy this tour. Do add it to your bucket list!! Happy to be part of TTL. Thank you!!