This was an essay written by my daughter about 8 years ago and the words still carry an important message hence the inclusion.
Nana , Nani , Dadi Dada are all words which bring feelings of love , wisdom and security in us . We always love to spend time with our grandparents , listen to them narrate their experiences and share our joys and sorrows with them. Their influence on our lives and character will stay for a long time.
As we grow older we become more and more involved with our studies and friends and may not be able to sped as much time as before with them. They too have to face various problems associated with old age. At such a time we must make it a point to be there for them. There are some unfortunate grandparents who do have their families and have to live in an old peoples home . If we can go and spend some time regularly with such senior citizens then we will surely be able to bring some joy to their lives.
Here are a few things that we can do for and with our grandparents:
1. Walk and talk a lot with them.
2. Run minor errands for them.
3. Rearrange their room keeping medicines ,water ,torch etc at arms length from the bed.
4. Write letters or help with bank work.
5. Make a bulletin board to pin up things to remember.
6. Ask them to take up your home work – not do it!!
7. Play indoor games or cards with them.
8. Iron clothes for them.
These are just a few things that I have thought of. I’m sure you can think of many more to show your grandparents how special they are to you.
Its our turn to be there for our parents and grandparents as they grow old. However do leave the choice of the kind of help needed to them.