14 April 2015

L is for Limca Jogging Park

In my quest for Gardens A to Z in Pune and I had mentally slotted this park for 'B'. This seemed so apt as there is a road called Bund Garden Road which means there has to be a Bund Garden right? To my utter disappointment, when I actually went there, I found its official name as "Mahatma Gandhi Udyan Limca Jogging Park'. This necessitated a revision of my list and fresh research and I chose to use the second part of the park's given name.

As I said, it is located on the Bund Garden Road and its almost a land mark in Pune. The garden is right beside the Yerawada Bridge (erstwhile Fritzgerald Bridge) but has now been sort of bisected after construction of a new bridge across the MulaMutha River. The jogging track is on one side and the landscaped lawns are on the other side and accessed via a walkway under the new bridge. 

Garden location
The jogging track seemed to be popular among senior citizens who preferred to walk instead of jog.. A good idea I say, protect the knees so you can continue coming to the park longer! ;-) Some visitors preferred to play volley ball and some were using the exercise equipment installed there. There is a small built up structure called the Weikfield Court where a group Pranayam and Yoga class was in progress. 

The track meanders around the park and at one point overlooks the Mula Mutha river. The almost bare trees (most are deciduous species) formed a mesh through which the slow moving water was visible. 





Clock at the gate


View from the road


At the entrance
The park has several blue benches to sit and rest and all of them bear plaques of Mr C H Kapadia, Consul General of Madagascar in India. What a wonderful gesture! 




The trees were mostly Peepul, Waval (Holoptelea integrifolia), Copper Pod (Peltaforum pterocarpum) and Gulmohor (Delonix regia ) plus the usual garden varieties.

The other section of the park has some really old and tall trees but I must make another visit to check out this area. I suspect I saw the Sterculia foetida and Pterygota alata but I could not confirm. This is a very old park in the city and I suspect that the new bridge and ever increasing traffic has wrecked havoc here. 

The area at the entrance is a buzzing with street food vendors and during peak hours, the crowds may mask the park entrance. Most of my visits have been in the morning and I strongly suspect that most of these parks have a different personality at another time of the day.

Info
Entry: Free (During my visit in the morning)
Timing: 6AM to 11AM and 4PM to 8PM
Drinking Water: Available (quality and hygiene not checked)
Rest Rooms: Available  (quality and hygiene not checked)
Parking: Available
Location Map here

This post is part of my April 2015 AtoZ blogging challenge and I am writing about parks in Pune. You can read other posts on this theme here.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What is Pranayam? I think I'd enjoy this park, and doing yoga there. Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Archana said...

Pranayam can be very loosely said to be a form of breathing exercises, but is much much more than that. Pranayam offers tremendous health benefits. If you ever have the opportunity to learn it, take it..