29 April 2016

Y is for Youngia

Welcome! 
I am writing about herbs in the 2016 April AtoZ blogging challenge. Most of the herbs written in this series are those I have seen or used.  We are at the penultimate day of the challenge and surprisingly I had a big struggle for this post. The usual culprit alphabets like Q, U, Z did not present any trouble but unexpectedly Y did... No herb from my "collection'' fit the bill and I had to scour the world wide web for something suitable. 

I got lucky and did not have to make do with some ''managed'' post. Without much ado, here is my Y herb.. Youngia japonica of the Asteraceae family. It is commonly called Oriental Hawkweed or Oriental False Hawksbeard. 


Image from Flowers of India 
As the name suggests, this herb is an invasive. The usual Google search threw up this interesting very well researched post by Green Deane and it's a must-visit site for those interested in botany. Apparently the plant has antiviral and anticancer properties! Amazing isn't it?

I have not managed to keep with with commenting on the many interesting blogs in the challenge though I did read many of them.. I'll try to comment as soon as I can sort out my commitments away from the world of the internet! 
How about you? Have you managed to keep with the posts? 
Happy commenting!
:)

4 comments:

Seena said...

Great going Archana! This was a challenging theme.. but looks like you just rocked it.
Seena
#AtoZChallenge - Y is for Yoga

Srivi said...

Its always nice to know about different herbs and this one surely seems interesting!
And as Seena mentioned, yours was a challenging theme and you have been totally amazing!

Srivi, The Piscean Me

Archana said...

Thanks Seena. You made my day!!

Archana said...

Thank you Srivi. I have been collecting images for many months. So glad that you found the posts interesting too!