27 June 2019

Green Cups (ThursdayTreeLove)

From afar, this Ficus looked like any other Ficus benghalensis and I almost gave it a miss. 
Yet something took me closer and lo behold!
I was seeing a tree that I had only read about and had yet to see..

Yes, its the Ficus benghalensis var krishnae  - the tree that boasts of cup like leaves. 
Naturally there are mythological stories associated with this tree specifically because of its leaf shape. The leaves are folded at the base to form a sort of a pocket. Don't believe me.. see for yourself!




It belongs to the Moraceae family and is said to be related to the Ficus benghalensis or the Banyan Tree that we all know. With its aerial roots and spreading branches, this evergreen tree has an imposing canopy. 

Spotting this Ficus was the highlight of that tree walk. 
Have you seen the Ficus benghalensis var krishnae

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some wonderful trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

10 comments:

Alana said...

I love seeing these trees that do not grow where I live in a climate that would not allow these trees to live long. I have never see this tree - I think I would remember those leaves.

Archana said...

Thanks Alana! Happy to share tropical species. :-)

Debbie D. said...

That's an interesting tree and one I haven't seen before. Lovely photos!

Esha said...

Not sure I've seen that either! Or perhaps, haven't noticed them so far around where I live! Thanks for sharing this post and the pictures. We now know about these too.

Visiting from:
https://theskygirl.com/2019/07/04/a-beautiful-tree-in-osaka-thursdaytreelove/

Parul said...

Wow! Never knew or seen this tree. Tell us more about the stories. Those cup kind of leaves are unique. So glad you shared and I got to see this.
Thank you, Archana. See you on the 11th.

Archana said...

@Debbie Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Archana said...

Thank you Esha! :-)

Archana said...

@Parul.. you have given me an idea for a new post! Happy to join you on the 11th!! :-)

Mahathi Ramya said...

Those leaves look interesting. Thanks for sharing this info and pics.

Archana said...

Thank you Mahathi!