14 January 2023

Unsual (ThursdayTreeLove)

Again a ThursdayTreeLove post thats not on a Thursday! I am sure dear TTL readers will not mind! 

My tree today is quite common and most of you from India will know  and recognise it. It is the Ber or Zizyphus of the Rhamnaceae family. I have not identified the tree to the specific epithet so I will stick to just Zizyphus. 

The reason I am sharing it is because it was an unusually huge tree. Pune has many many Ber. In home gardens, public gardens, on the hills and even on the highways that lead out of the city. But they are usually up to one storey tall. 

 Those of who have read my earlier posts, know I was on a cycling tour in Assam. After finishing our ride for the day we enjoyed  a lovely and unique Bodo lunch at a small island resort near the Chandubi Lake. I noticed this large tree due to the benches that were lined up in its cool shade. They invited us to lie down a bit and rest and look up at the beautiful sky. 

That's when I realised it was a Ber. It was about two storeys tall and its branches were groaning with fruit. The three veined leaves with a shiny underside easily gave away the identity. 

Looking up..

Is this a triple trunk tree or 3 separate ones? 

The benches are seen.. inviting cyclists to rest

Fruit and leaf 

We have often taken refuge from the Sun or rain under the Mango, Ficus or Tamarind trees, It was my first instance of napping under a grand Ber tree. Unusual and Restful!

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove bloghop. Do head over to see trees from around the world. Better still, join in.

4 comments:

Alana said...

First time me seeing this tree (online, of course). I looked it up - one fruit I'll probably never have an opportunity to sample. Isn't it interesting, the variety of trees in our world.

joannaoftheforest said...

I love your descriptions: They invited us to lie down a bit and rest and look up at the beautiful sky... and taking refuge.... Triple trunks or close tree friends are always fascinating.

Archana said...

@Alana thats the beauty of TTL.. we can learn of and enjoy trees from around the world. Thank you so much!

Archana said...

@JoAnna Thanks a lot.:-)