23 February 2023

Twisty (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Pune has many Eucalyptus trees - in parks, on roadsides and so on. Its not a native species but is very commonly planted here. Its easily identified by the almost white flaky bark on the trunk. The fragrant leaves immediately reveal the identity! 

So it was a huge surprise to see this particular tree with a blackened (possibly by fire?) trunk and twisting bark and tell-all leaves lying at its base. It grew straight up and broke out into multiple branches which looked exactly as a Eucalyptus does. The tree was very tall but the fallen leaves left no doubt. 

Here is this Twisty tree... It reminded me of a Shari that is sometimes seen on Bonsai. 

Twists on the trunk are eye catching.

Not sure what are the thread like structures on the trunk

The thread like structures may be of some epiphyte or Ficus growing on this trunk


Looking up.. 

Eucalyptus belongs to the Myrtaceae family and is native to Australia. However many members of the Eucalyptus genus grow in India. I am sure all of you would have seen this tree. Have you noticed its bark? This tree seems to be a survivor!

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove bloghop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

6 comments:

Mascha said...

Very unique and mysterious! Never seen an Eucalyptus tree in real...
Greetings from Germany

JoAnna said...

I've seen eucalyptus trees here in the US, but none even nearly this tall. I love the view looking up and wonder if those could be arial roots hanging from above.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like to see a nice twisty tree.

Parul said...

I have never seen a Eucalyptus with such a bark. I have seen the white and smooth bark but you are right - there may be many varieties of the tree in India. Thanks for joining, Archana. I am a bit late but working on my today's post. Will be able to go live in some time. See you around.

Dr Genevive Angela said...

I am happy to see this tree; i have seen Eucalyptus trees in Hyderabad too but twist is something that's rare and unique, thank you for sharing:)

Vinitha said...

That's one of kind I guess. Looks like the roots got twisted with the trunk of the tree. Nice capture, Archana.