28 July 2023

Sky Flower (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Today's plant is yet another introduced species in my country and it seems very happy as we see extensive flowering and fruiting.

Here it is..




I am sure most of you would have recognised this!!!

Yess! It's Duranta erecta of the Verbenaceae family. Very very common species for hedges. The pretty purple flowers turn into bright orange fruits. It's said to be a favourite of butterflies!! 

Profuse fruiting . This is the only time I have seen the plant grow tall. 

Bonsai enthusiasts do nurture it in the Forest style and that looks beautiful as well! 

Duranta goes by the common name Pigeon Berry, Golden Dew Drop or Sky Flower.  But I am not really sure of origin of these names. Any ideas? ☺️

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove bloghop. Do head over to see fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

8 comments:

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The first flowers remind me of vinca. The fruits on the last tree look amazing.

Dr Genevive Angela said...

Beautiful, Duranta, have not heard this name, something new for me...

Haddock said...

Like the colour of the flower.

Archana said...

@Linn yess..we have Vinca in this colour.. Thanks for reminding me of that lovely flower! And for stopping by 🙏☺️

Archana said...

@Angela happy to share. Happy to regularly 'meet' you here with TTL! 🙏☺️

Archana said...

@Haddock Thank you for stopping by! 🙏

Parul said...

Love this and yes, I have seen this but never the fruits. I love the purple flowers that bloom. And I did not know the name. I am glad you shared and joined.
Thanks, Archana.. Looking forward to seeing you around on the 10th.

PanchTatwa Girl said...

The golden dew drop or the nilkantha flowers are very common in India. Have read that these pale blue flowers attract butterflies a lot. I'm sure, The bunches of golden-orange berries are a treat to the eyes and for many birds too.