18 April 2024

Waras (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Here is tree that I have seen on our hills in Pune. There are only a few that grow in the city so I always assumed it was a species that preferred some elevation.

I was proved wrong when we did a few long drives around Pune into the interiors (to see flowering ofcourse!!) . I saw plenty of these lovely stately trees in the plains as well.

I am referring to the Waras or Heterophragma quadriloculare of the Bignonicaceae family. 

It has pretty white flowers with frilly petals and the tree looks majestic when in bloom. 

Many of the native species that grow in and around Pune bloom in Feb/Mar and April. 

It needs great determination to go out in the heat but the joy of seeing and identifying the tree is infinite!! 

For some strange reason, I was unable to find a local name in English for this tree. 

Here it is!

Compound leaves






I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in!

3 comments:

joannaoftheforest said...

What an interesting looking flower. It looks delicate and lacy. :)

Archana said...

Yes it is... and prettier in real as compared to the photos!! :-) Thanks for stopping by Joanna!

Parul said...

These are pretty and I did not know the name.
In Bangalore, I see yellow flower of these trees (I am not wrong) and they look beautiful. They also attract ants. Thanks for stepping out in the Sun to bring us these gorgeous blooms.

I am running late on my edition, Archana but hoping to catch up. See you around.