12 August 2024

Rare (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Todays tree is a native and according to the book 'Trees of Pune' by Shrikant Ingalhalikar it is native to Pune.

Yet we know of only 2 individuals in the city. 

Isn't that shocking? And sad? 

And in all these years I had not gone to see the tree!! 

The tree is Adinia cordifolia or Haldu of Rubiaceae. 

So when our tree group was buzzing with news of its flowering, I just had to visit.

They grow at an area where Metro construction is on full swing. I am thankful to God these 2 trees continue to flourish growing as they do by the roadside. I pray they continue to do so.

Reaching the spot was a challenge due to lot of traffic diversions and road closures and heavy rain. But I was determined and I made it there.

The majestic duo with huge heart shaped leaves were in full bloom. The branches were full of the round flowers (like Kadamba and Kaim - not surprising as they are the same family) and a wonderful sight. 

People looked askance as I walked balancing my umbrella, navigating contruction material and cars and my phone camera.

Here is the lovely Haldu. 

Opposite heart shaped leaves

Growing at the extreme edge of the road

Branches full of flowers


The flowers!

About 2-3 cms sized inflorescence
 
Have you seen this magnificent tree?

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in.

3 comments:

Parul said...

I have never seen this tree. The flowers feel familiar. Thanks for joining, Archana. How lovely that you have a tree group that shares such updates.

Archana said...

Hi @Parul. Flowers feel familiar as they resemble Kadamba and Kaim. Happy to be part of TTL! Thanks!!

joannaoftheforest said...

A beautiful tree with amazing flowers! I hope the rest of the city, especially whoever owns the property where the trees live, knows how rare and precious these trees are.