29 March 2023

Why so? (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Yet another TTL post thats not on a Thursday..  

🤔

I seem to be making a habit of it!

Without further ado, let me go to this tree that immediately made me ask. "Why so?"



At first glance, I am sure all of you will notice that the there's profuse flowering on the right tree and nothing on the left.  

On going closer, i could see that the 2 'halves' were of the same type. Maybe it is a twin trunk whose base has been covered with mud and grass as part of landscaping. Or they are 2 trees growing side by side . Either way, their location suggests they get the same sunlight (abundantly), water and other factors like soil, nourishment etc.


Yet only one half had these wonderful blossoms. 

A cropped image so you can clearly see the 2 'halves'

Leaves and flowers suggest it to be most probably the Hirda or Terminalia chebula of Combretaceae family. 

I noticed a a mound of mud that looks like white ants (termites) at the base of the non flowering trunk.

                                     

Could that be the reason for not flowering? 

Or could it be that it's buds are ready to burst out a few days later? And I was a day early for the full blooming? This seems likely especially as this tree and all others in the resort looked healthy and happy and well looked after. 

I would like to go with the latter reason!! 

What do you think? Have you seen any other trees with similar behaviour? (for want of a better word)

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in. 

10 comments:

joannaoftheforest said...

Good question. I have not noticed this pattern before. My guess is that the trunk that is not flowering put more energy into growing taller and therefore has less energy for putting out flowers. Maybe it will bloom later.

Archana said...

Yess! You are right!! Thanks @JoAnna. Hopefully it will bloom soon. :-)
In our Bonsai, we often see a branch that grows aggressively. (This is quite helpful if the bonsai is in training phase.)

Dr Genevive Angela said...


I liked both the pictures, looking at the first picture, looks like its the same trunk and branch out separately.. reminding me of the differences we have, born in the same family yet every child is unique and different:) Thank you for sharing these beautiful clicks.

Ria said...

Archana, was looking for you at the A to Z Challenge. Missing you.

~Ria

Archana said...

@Angela What a wonderful thought to compare the 2branches to a family!!!! Only a true tree lover can say so!!! Thank you so much dear Angela!!

Archana said...

@Ria. Awww that's so sweet! 😇 I did have a couple of themes for atoz this year but somehow kept postponing and then we were already into April so.... I miss the atoz as well. Thanks for your thoughts and and stopping by!! 🙏🙏 Good luck with your atoz!!

Pradeep Nair said...

The trees and greenery are so energising!

Parul said...

It's so interesting on how trees/plants behave. I have two small banyans. One is suddenly without leaves and the other shows up leaves one after the other. I think maybe yours is just taking its time to bloom like we take our time to shine ;)

Thanks for joining, Archana. I missed the last edition so working on today's. Please join when you can. No pressure here!

Archana said...

@Pradeep Yes indeed. Thank you for stopping by! :-)

Archana said...

@Parul yes, will post my tree soon. I have received such interesting interpretations of this tree behaviour. Happy to be part of TTL. Thank you so much!! :-)