15 June 2023

SoapNut (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Here is tree that many of us especially in India know for its fruit.. namely Reetha or the Soapnut tree. It is a native and seen around in Pune, in gardens or roadsides as well. There is one growing quite near my home, so I see it round the year in all stages.. flowering, fruiting .

My images today are from a tree I spotted in one of our weekly hikes, it lives in the grounds of a very old and prestigious college in Pune. I am happy it continues to grow and flourish in its chosen home watching students pass out every year. 

Reetha goes by the botanical name Sapindus emarginatus and belongs to the Sapindaceae family. Other familiar members of  Sapindaceae are some Maples, and Litchee which are in season presently. 


Interesting trunk isn't it? 

Fruit on a tree

This is not my image. I have uploaded via a link. 

Last image is of the dry fruit.. Reetha as is sold in the market. An infusion has to be made and is used as an excellent detergent to wash silks and other clothes as well. It can be used as a shampoo as well. Experts suggest using Reetha instead of detergent powders as our small effort towards saving our rivers from chemical runoff. 

Have you seen the Reetha tree? Do you use Reetha as a detergent? 

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world . Better still, join in!

6 comments:

Parul said...

Growing up, I have used Reetha on my hair and I can safely say my hair were healthier back then. Thanks for sharing this. I have never seen a soapnut tree before. Getting ready for the Thursday edition and looking forward to seeing you there, Archana.

Archana said...

Thanks Parul!! Pune has many Reetha trees .. Happy to share treelove!

joannaoftheforest said...

This is an interesting and beautiful tree, especially the trunk bark which sort of reminds me of the folds in our brains. The fruit is quite a gift. I'm glad it's flourishing, too.

Vinitha said...

I have never seen this tree before, Archana. I haven't used soapnut either. Recently I purchased reetha powder from Amazon. Yet to use it. Thank you for sharing the pictures and the information. 😊

Archana said...

@JoAnna "Folds of the brain!!" spot on!!!! Happy to have you visit my blog!! Thank you!

Archana said...

@Vinitha Happy to share with tree lovers!! Thank you!!