12 October 2023

A Castle Tree (ThursdayTreeLove)

 Today I have a tree from my travels. It is a new and hence unfamiliar species to me so I will just go with sharing images of a glorious really old tree. 

Without much ado.. .here we go.. This is a tree from the 18th century that has its home at the Cardiff Castle in Cardiff

It is a Holm Oak which is apparently the Quercus ilex of the Fagaceae family. 

The impressive trunk invites attention


A bit of the tree's history


Lovely foliage


Seeing it from a distance

 Besides this Oak, i could identify a Linden but I could not explore trees in the area. The Castle is beautiful ofcourse and the Keep is wonderful. Do visit if you have the opportunity. 😃

Ever since I did the Field Botany course, I have tried to observe plants and Flora of all places that I visit whether in India or abroad. It is most enjoyable to meet new species learn about a place via the trees growing there.

Have you seen a Holm Oak? Have you seen this particular tree?

I am joining Parul in her ThursdayTreeLove blog hop. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. Better still, join in.

12 comments:

Alana said...

That trunk looked like one big group hug. I enjoy seeing trees that won't grow in my climate (Northeast United States) and yes, this is one. The acorn is elongated, which isn't the case with many of the oaks that grow here. I did a tiny bit of research and found that, in se countries, these acorns are roasted and eaten although they are slightly bitter. Nice find!

dee Nambiar said...

Oh wow! This is another natural sculpture. Look at that trunk! So photo-worthy!
Thank you for sharing this lovely sight, Archana. :)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Fabulous tree.

The Tatwa Girl said...

Truly an amazing trunk. Loved the path adjacent to the tree. Nature's wonder.

joannaoftheforest said...

A very special tree I would be tempted to climb, or at least join the group hug.

Parul said...

What a huge and old one! So glad you shared this and I have never seen one but every time I see a new tree - i do think of seeing it one day :) Thanks for joining Archana. I hope to see you back tomorrow.

Archana said...

@Alana Thanks for the info !! I have read that the Holm Oak is a naturalised species in this region and is native to East Mediterranean region. Always a joy to learn about new species. Thanks for stopping by!!

Archana said...

@dee Thank you so much! Happy to share! :-)

Archana said...

@Linn Thank you!

Archana said...

@The Tatwa Girl Yes it was beautiful! Thanks for stopping by!

Archana said...

@JoAnna Hehe... Yes maybe the Castle authorities would allow it!! :-) Thank you for stopping by!

Archana said...

@Parul! Thanks a lot! Happy to be part of TTL!